Monday, January 27, 2014

Designing knitwear

In the past year I've started on a small side venture, designing knit wear.  It all started after I had Matilda and met my wonderful baby photographer.  I had brought some knit shawls in for the baby to be photographed all wrapped up in.  She later asked if I could knit her some baby items to use as props in exchange for future photo sessions.  I couldn't find a pattern for what she requested, lacy baby pants, so I designed one myself.  We were in the yarn shop and the owner was saying she could surely sell such a pattern, so I should write it up and give it a try.  So I did.  And it sold!  Ok, not a lot, but some anyway.  It's a great feeling, putting my expertise to use to create something new.

Since then I have created a few more patterns and it's interesting to see what sells and what doesn't, though I haven't put much effort into ads or self promotion.  I have a whole list of things that I want to try my hand at designing, either because it's an interesting pattern, or something I want for Matilda to wear.

Some designs that I've been thinking about:

  • Pants with patches on them, hearts and ovals.  Maybe the patches could be little pockets?
  • Entrelac heart banner.  A good way to use up odds and ends.  Could I make it all in one piece?  Most people prefer less sewing up at the end.  Another idea is to crochet the cord to desired length and add the banners every N stitches.
  • Pants with a skirt/ruffle.  Tilda inherited some RTW pants with a skirt on them and I love that look, so cute!  There are lots of possibilities here: lacy, ruffly, garter, color combos, stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment